Low Carb Spinach and Ricotta Gnocchi + Home made bolognese
- 450g ricotta cheese*
- 250g frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese – grated
- 5 tbs low carb flour of choice (I used a mixture of soybean flour and almond meal)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese - grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
Whiz ricotta in processor till smooth. Add eggs, cheese, seasoning in processor. Scrape out and add the well-drained spinach. Shape into logs using baking paper. Chill in fridge for 3 hours.
After 3 hours, cut log into dumplings of about 3cm wide. Pour into a pot of lightly boiling salted water till they float to the top**, and finish them off in a pan with browned butter to get a lovely crust on them.
Suitable low carb sauces to have with gnocchi: sage butter, browned butter with garlic, basil pesto. I had mine with bolognese, which fits in with a LCHF diet but not keto.
* = Use deli made ricotta over the tubs bought at the supermarket. If you do buy the tubs, make sure to drain the ricotta well first as these tend to be more watery.
** = This is the traditional way my grandmother did gnocchis, but after swim training I just pan-fried a couple off and they tasted just fine so you can definitely skip the boiling and pan-fry them for a little longer.
(I also made low carb chocolate fondant for myself but let’s not go there just yet.)